- Total books read: 10
- Books read for 2017 so far: 144
- Couldn’t stop listening to the audiobook: Righteous by Joe Ide and a re-listen of The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (and I haven’t reread a book in years– so glad I did.)
- Nonfiction topics explored: insect sex in Sex on Six Legs by Marlene Zuk and US history and genocide in An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
- ARCs read: One, but it was a great one. Check out Three Daughters of Eve by Elif Shafak. My review is here.
- Books Purchased because of good deals: (number redacted for marital harmony purposes)
- Best of the Month: i be, but i ain’t by Aziza Barnes (a powerful poetry collection) and Adulthood Rites by Octavia Butler. If you haven’t checked out Butler’s Lilith’s Brood series, you’re missing out. Some extremely interesting sci-fi that delves into gender, family, and power.
I won NaNo. (deep sigh of relief). This is a really big personal achievement for me and there is something euphoric about writing without filtering yourself at all out of necessity. Even after finishing three novels, I’ve never been able to commit to and win NaNo before (and I’ve tried at least seven times). If you didn’t win this year, try again because you never know!
Even better than finishing 50k in a month is falling knee-deep in a project that I can’t stop mentally plotting.
Next goals: finish draft one by the end of the year, which I can do if I write about 1k a day. Now that I’m in a daily writing habit again, anything feels possible.
- Research papers graded this month: 72
- Number of kids in my house singing Jingle Bells non-stop since November 15: 2
- Turkeys roasted, with all of the fixings: 1
- Days of Turkey leftovers: Let’s not talk about it, okay? I’m not gobbling any more, but last week…
Real talk about turkey leftovers: these turkey enchiladas are my favorite thing to make… besides turkey sandwiches with leftover cranberry dressing.
One more month to go this year. Finish strong, my friends.